Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Doll-A-Day 141: Small Girl

  I thought I'd finish up the week with some more of my childhood dolls.I showed you a brief glimpse of today's doll yesterday.(She was the 'head' purse dolls are known for...) I have no idea who she is or where she was made, but I've had her  almost as long as I can remember. Her name is Jungle Legsly.

I coloured her socks in with an ink pen when I was a kid.

She has no markings, so I don't know anything about her, as I said. I remember the day I got her, (My sister got a brown rubber monkey you could make shinny up a stick.), but I have no idea what she was even wearing, since she spent my entire childhood, and most of my adult life dressed in the shirt from my Breezly Bruin doll.
Apparently Breezly is really rare.Hey! I remember that inner tube now!


Sometime a few years ago I found Breezly and decided to give him back his clothes, so Jungle (I have no idea why I named her Jungle Legsly.) is wearing  a Heidi doll dress I found at school when I was a kid.
"There was a little girl who had a little curl..." Do people still know that poem? "...right in the middle of her forehead. And when she was good she was very very good, and when she was bad she was horrid."

She's about 4 and a half inches tall. I played with her alot, but she has stood up well over the years.




I'm sure she was just a cheap little doll, probably made in Japan or Hong Kong. There are alot of dolls of various sizes from the same era that look exactly like her.

Awww, isn't she cute?



  Tomorrow  I'll show you another little 60's doll.

2 comments:

  1. Strange is, I own her, but only as a head. One time a little bit more modern, with a tartan cap and real YELLOW hair; she stuck on a huge tartan covered pencil, and I bought her when I was eleven, perhaps twelve, and was a Bay City Rollers-Fan (in fact, I bought her several times, I wanted to give her to the band, but have no idea where I lost her- perhaps on a concert? Did I really throw her onto the stage, as I did with some doll's house dolls which I had dressed as the band members?)

    And now I have her a second time, again as a head, with an older cap and brown hair, the style a ticket seller had back then.
    I always try to find a body to put her on (of course: to put BOTH on bodies!), but even if I have a body, the head does not fit.
    And when I start to make her a body from wire and wool, it does not fit well, too, it looks strange.
    It is so sad. I really love her, and I hate the thought she/they will be bebodied (or how do you call 'beheaded' if someone did not lose the head, but the body?) for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so strange. There were tons of these dolls, in different sizes, and also there were purses that looked like dolls, with the skirt part being the purse itself, and with a doll's head on top. I have one such purse with this exact same head!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.