Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Doll-A-Day 308: A Little Crowd of Dolls by Lotte Sievers Hahn

  Today's doll is a group of dolls: these little wooden people by Lotte Sievers Hahn.

They are about 5" tall.




I think the little girl with the Princess Leia buns is my favourite of the girls.

Lotte was from the Ore mountains in Germany.
And this is my favourite of the two boys,

Lotte Sievers Hahn's  workshop has been in operation since 1929. In those days Lotte carved the dolls by hand herself.

Over the years she trained others in her methods, which were to carve the dolls in a few quick strokes.

Today the business is still run from their workshop in Brockel, Germany.

The dolls are carved from Linden wood and hand painted with oils.

The eyes are so simple, but look at the detail in this little guy's mouth.
I think this girl is sort of an older sister, She looks a little stern.
The company began selling, and is still known for,their wooden nativity sets.
Their legs are attached with pegs so they can move their legs and sit.


I think their arms are attached with a piece of leather. They're not jointed, so they can only be raised, and can't hold the pose.

I came across these dolls online a couple of years ago and fell in love with them. Aren't they cute little guys?




I'm not sure how old they are. The workshop still makes these, but I think mine are from the 30's or 40's.

See you tomorrow for another doll.

1 comment:

Thanks in advance for your comments.