Friday, January 20, 2017

Doll-A-Day 2017 #20: Jamie West from Marx's Best of the West

  Yesterday we saw Jane West from The Best of the West series. Today we're looking at Jamie West.

  Jamie is one of two sons in the West family.

The painting isn't great on Marx figures. They were meant to be action figures, and those just weren't as detailed in those days. The sclera (the white part of the eye) isn't painted, and the hair isn't fully filled in.

 

Like all the Marx figures of this type, Jamie has painted hair with molded detail.


He's 9" tall.

 
 The same size as Skipper and her friend Ricky,(seen here with Jamie.).


Notice how much more detailed Ricky's face is.(And excuse the fact that he was in such a hurry to get his picture taken that he misplaced his shoe.)
Jamie is about 2" shorter than his mother Jane.


  As with everyone else in the family, Jamie has molded clothing. And, like everyone else, he also came with extra, molded rubber clothing, like a vest, a neckerchief, and a of course, a cowboy hat.






He has the Marx logo on his back.

And some pretty nice detail in his molded clothing.

  He's fully jointed.


  One of the major problems with the Marx figures like these, is that the hands had a round knob at the end that fitted into the wrists, meaning they could be pulled out of the wrists. That's why so many of these figures are found without hands.


The hands are a bendable vinyl. They're firm, but moveable, so they can hold their accessories.


 Occasionally the heads fall off too. Marx remade some of their classic figures about 20 years ago. We bought Fuzzy a knight. He was great, with a full set of removable armour, and weapons. The only problem was, his head came off almost immediately! On the other hand, my childhood Mike Hazard is still in one piece. I fear he might shatter if I dropped him though. As I said yesterday, that happens with the old Marx figures.
  I'm sort of proud of myself right now. I know I keep saying I'm going to let go of some stuff, and I am. It's just not happening as fast as I'd like. I'm still having a hard time letting go of most things. While working on this post I decided that, although I've had Jamie in my collection for the past few years, and he takes me back to my childhood,(Or, more accurately, the childhoods of other people which happened to be at the same time as mine...), I don't really like him that much. I'm going to let him go! He'll be traveling out of here with his mother, Jane, so at least he won't be alone. If anybody is interested, the accessories are going with them.
Join us tomorrow for Shrunken Saturday.

3 comments:

  1. They needed to work on their kid figures. He looks like an old man that colored his hair. lol But as usual, I am so impressed with all the stuff you used to get with these toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! He does look a bit old!
      I know, they had some really cool accessories, and so many of them. Again, it's the small things that draw our attention!

      Delete
    2. Hi - these are great reference pictures, thank you for posting! I know this is from 2017 but if you still have any Marx figures/accessories/leftover-bits to part with, you're welcome to send an email to john_antkowiak@yahoo.com. I'd be more interested in the western figures than knights or vikings or some of the others, but still would like to know what might be available. Have a great day :)

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.