Thursday, January 26, 2017

Doll-A-Day 2017 #26: Flashy Blinkins

  Is today's doll a doll, or a toy? And how do you tell the difference? We seemed to be on a theme of small 70's and 80's toys,so today it's Flashy Blinkins.

Blinkins were a line of toys launched in 1985 by LJN Toys.

They originated with a line of plush dolls,with wings that lit up and changed colour when the doll was squeezed.


This doll is from 1986. This line had light up bottoms that operated when you squeezed their heads.(Ouch!)

The names of the other Blinkins were Flicker,Shady, Sparkle,Baby Twinkle, and Blink.
This one no longer works, but that's not surprising, since the battery is over 30 years old.I don't think it's changeable though.

Her name is Flashy, and she came with a swing.
She has movable arms and legs.



Flashy is 4" tall,if you include all the big hair. 
...and there is a lot of it.

According to Wikipedia, the Blinkins were 'fairy glow-bugs that lived in Blinkin Land'.
Hence the wings and antennae.
Two playsets were produced for the Blinkins dolls the size of Flashy. There was the 'Lady Buggy', a giant ride in lady bug, and the Twilight Treehouse, a multi-room home for the Blinkins figures which included furniture and a swing.
There was also an animated movie voiced by stars like Oscar nominee Burgess Meredith and Oscar winner Paul Williams.  You can watch it HERE.

Check in tomorrow for another doll.

3 comments:

  1. I remember these. I wanted Baby Twinkle because I wanted anything BABY at eight. I was still playing with my beloved Strawberry, but that didn't mean I couldn't have one of these. I guess I will have to go looking for Baby Twinkle now that you reminded me. LOL

    Long story short, I have NONE of my childhood toys. The strawberries were stolen by someone that helped us move and what I still had left as a teen went with my grandmother one year. We had a fire and while it didn't damage our apartment, the water used to put it out did. Grandma took all my stuffed toys, dolls, anything that would hold smoke smell with her - supposedly to clean it all. I never saw it again. Just before my 47th birthday this year, I started trying to find my toys and unlock memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I can help you with that project. We have a lot of stuff we need to get rid of, and a lot of it seems to be your childhood dolls and toys!

      Delete
    2. I have a Baby Twinkle, none of the accessories and I literally just discovered these used batteries (I had no idea) if you’re interested I’ll be listing it for sale!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.