Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Doll-A-Day 2017 #31:Japanese Pose Doll

 Today's doll is this Japanese Pose doll.
Here she sits amidst my amaryllis',that are wintering inside, and my peace lily,which our cat, Mow, keeps eating.Don''t worry. Amaryllis are toxic to cats, but they were cut down to the bulbs before we brought them inside for the winter,so Mow ignores them.

I never knew what these dolls were called until about a year ago,even though I've seen them all my life.

I was born in 1962, and these dolls were everywhere in the 60's and early 70's.

They were characterized by their big eyes and sweet stockingette faces,and their wired stockingette bodies.


I own a couple of Pose Dolls from my childhood. One,which this girl reminds me of, came snapped,(with actual snaps.), to the top of a jewelry box.This particular girl was found at a thrift store.

She's about 6" tall, in her sitting position.
From the back of her head you might start to think that she has been reclothed at some point...

...except for the little paper tag on her skirt.

These dolls sort of have a cult following these days.

There were so many of them sold that they can still be found fairly frequently at yard sales and thrift stores, and at pretty good prices.They'll cost you more on auction sites though.

  Tomorrow is another doll.See you then!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't recognize the Japanese pose doll until you mentioned the ones that attached to jewelry boxes. I had one of those! I don't really remember what mine looked like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those jewelry boxes must have been popular in hio!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.