Thursday, April 27, 2017

Doll-A-Day 2017 #118: Pippi Longstocking

  Today's doll is Pippi Longstocking.


Pippi is based on the books by Swedish author Astrid Lindgren.



Lindgren's daughter Karin asked her mother for a story when she was home from school sick one day,thus Pippi was born.

Pippi was an unusual character.

Karin also named Pippi.

She lives with her monkey friend and her horse,but no adults. Pippi's clothes are patched.
She always wears thigh high, mismatched socks.




The first Pippi book was rejected when first submitted to a publisher in 1944, but was finally published in 1945.

She has some bright bloomers.

Lindgren went on to publish a total of 11 Pippi books.

Probably Pippi's most famous trait is her crazy red braids. They aren't supposed to curl up this much, but this girls braids won't stay in place.



This exact design was made in several sizes, including a tiny Pippi about 5" tall. This particular Pippi measures 16 tall to the top of her head,but her braids add another 3"!


Wow! Those sunspots in the lower right corner are pretty cool!

There have also been several Pippi movies made,and probably even more dolls.


This girl is made by Omega Toy.


The Astrid Lundgren licensing,sign of an authentic Pippi.
I have mentioned before that when I was in 6th grade there was a poster from the Pippi movie on the board that stood where we all lined up to go to lunch. I was embarrassed standing next to it, because I thought it looked like me.

 Other than I didn't have the freckles. I had to grow into my big teeth. Ok. They're still pretty big.


Tomorrow is another doll. See you then. 

2 comments:

  1. I didn't have a Pippi doll either, but read the books and watched the movies. If I remember right, her Dad was always away on adventures and that's why she was alone. But its been a long time and I could have mixed her up with another character. If it makes you feel any better, I LOVED her red hair, freckles and smiley face. I would have been friends with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to Wikipedia, her dad is a lost at sea sea captain, who later is found on an island in the South Seas. That might be the plot of Pippi in the South Seas? I haven't read the books, but child Fuzz read or was read the first one in school and liked it very much.
      Well thank you! We can say we are friends now.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.