Thursday, October 5, 2017

Doll-A-Day 2017 #278:Toodles, or Not Toodles? That Is The Question

  The readers have been very helpful recently, in identifying some dolls I wasn't sure about and needed help with. Today I'm going to ask for help again. My problem is this guy.


I got him...her?...at an antique store.


I put these clothes on him because he was naked when I got him.


There was no tag at all on him...her?


He's marked 'American Character 1958' on the back of the neck.


He measures about 16" or 17" tall. (It's hard to flatten his legs out.)


There's a squeaker in his back.


He has bluey green sleep eyes with lashes...







...and blushy cheeks.


He has a podgy baby belly and a belly button.


His arms and head are vinyl.


There's some nicely molded hair  on his head,with curls on his forehead.




 

 His little arms are jointed.

And he can turn his head.



But his body and legs are a solid rubber.





It's not quite like what I know about 'magic skin'. As far as I know 'magic skin' is a thin rubber. This stuff is thick.




So thick and stiff in fact, that it's hard to keep him in a sitting position.


He just wants to pop right up.

Especially in these PJs. The rubber skin at least holds him down a little!


From what I've been able to find out, Toodles has this head, but the legs are jointed.



My question is,is this Toodles? Or just some random American Character doll with the same head sculpt?


Well, tomorrow's another doll. See you then.

10 comments:

  1. Google "infant toodles" doll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Close, but did they make it with and without jointed legs?All I have found is the jointed leg ones.Mine has a solid rubber torso/legs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, I'm having no luck identifying this doll either. He reminds me of an Eegee doll that I've got, one with no joints ANYWHERE! Yours is cute, and I love that little outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the head of the 1958 American Character doll "Toodles" (a girl not a boy doll) but not the body. This was actually my first and only doll when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Same head sculpt, but this body makes it a different doll than Toodles. Still trying to find out which one.

      Delete
  5. My Mother had the same doll when she was little. She was born in 1950. The doll has the same exact head and same exact body as your baby doll. Same construction of the legs, torso, and arms. Same moulded hair. I think she's very sweet. The back of the head says, "Amer Char Doll"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got this doll body with a different head she has real hair and the tag said 1956 tooddles

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.