Sunday, December 10, 2017

Doll-A-Day 2017 #343: Shrunken Saturday:Dolly Darlings John

  The worst shopping day ever. It was bad enough that Ivy wanted taken to Emma's by 5:30,instead of 5, like she told me the other day. That wasn't going to leave me much time to do the things I planned to do. I was going to drop her off, go during the other 20 minutes to some stores I needed to do some quick Christmas shopping at,and then come home and rearrange things in the living room to make room for the tree. As it turned out,I missed shopping at two of the places I needed to get to most. that was because most of my evening, and my night, was taken up with car trouble. The car kept over heating,in spite of the new radiator we got recently, and the almost whole jug of antifreeze/coolant I put in. By the time I got where I was going I was too late to shop at one place because it closed before I finished at Hallmark, and the other closed before I finished with another place. Then what should have taken me about 20 minutes--getting back to Emma's--- took me almost an hour and a half, because the car kept getting hot after only 2 to 5 minutes of driving, and taking longer to cool down. In the end Emma had to take us home. Now Ken and I have to go back tomorrow evening after he gets off work and try to get the car home somehow.
  Anyway! Today's Shrunken Saturday doll is this little guy.


His name is John.

This is much bigger than life size,so his rough face shows up.

He's a Dolly Darling.


The Dolly Darlings were a series of tiny dolls made by Hasbro.

He's wearing a Bratz Babies shirt. The other stuff is a mystery,but he was naked. I was lucky to find anything that fit him,because he's tiny.

I've read that they are 4 1/2" tall, but I measured John at 4".


John is from a line called the 'Hatbox Dolls',because they came in round 'hat boxes',with clear plastic lids.

His hair has streaky detailing.
John was the only Dolly Darlings male doll.


He was available in 1965.


He came wearing a sleeveless white shirt with a red tie, a blue and white checked sports coat with a crest on the breast pocket,and blue shorts. His blue knee socks and brown shoes are painted on.
 
"Hello. My name is John. Who are you?"

He was called John and his Pets.
 
Nothing but sniffing from the rabbit. But John edges closer,being careful not to scare him.
 He came with two dogs, two cats, a yellow duck, a can of cat food, four pieces of white fencing, and a pretend book called  'How to Teach Cats'. Pretend is right! You can't teach cats! (That's not true. Our cat Mow has been taught not to climb on the table,and he's very good about it.)

"Please don't be scared.I like animals."

The rabbit comes further out of the gate. John stands very still.
The other Dolly Darlings were released later with rooted hair,but not John. 

Finally John is able to get very close. He stands still so the rabbit can sniff him and get to know him.

He,and some of the girls, were available as paper dolls though.


Today was our first real snowfall of the winter.


This fence decoration has yellowed terribly.I think I may have to get a Tom Sawyer doll to paint it.



That's it for this week's Shrunken Saturday. See you tomorrow for another wintery doll.

2 comments:

  1. He is a cutie! Hope your car trouble resolves itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Read day 347 to hear more about the car.You aren't going to believe it!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.